Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Another Rookie's Account

It would be a lie if I said that everything is going perfectly, without no problems, due to our precise planning and preparation in the US, leading up to the trip. All of our planning and preparing certainly helped, but not as much as the patience, understanding, and ingenuity of the villagers. Over the past couple of days I have been amazed by a multipurpose tool, simpler but better than any Swiss army knife. Their machete and their ingenuity has layed bricks, dug holes, built wooden frames, cleared brush, and much more.

The other day, after a long day of work, some children invited me to play football with them. Although I was unable to speak to them, I could communicate and connect with them through this game. It was also easy to communicate with the villagers. They patiently understood as we showed with pointing and other hand gestures.

Later today we will be hanging our solar panels and finishing burying the wires for the pump. I don't know what challenges we will face, but I am sure we can count on the villager's ingenuity and patience to help us overcome the problems.


Andrew

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cool blog you got here. I'd like to read something more concerning that theme.
BTW look at the design I've made myself Companionship in London